By: Air Traveller PH Staff
The Philippines' largest low-cost airline Cebu Pacific expects to lose up to $78-million or 3 to 4 billion Pesos in profits brought by the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak which originated from Wuham China. In a disclosure yesterday, Cebu Air Inc., operator of Cebu Pacific, said that travel prospects for 2020 are weighed down by the virus outbreak. Airlines around the world have been cancelling flights to and from China as a result of the outbreak.
“If the current situation remains the same for the next six months, then Cebu Air estimates that it might experience a 3-4 billion pesos swing on profit," the airline said.
So far, 426 people have died as a result of the nCoV with 20,626 already affected worldwide. 14% of that are in critical condition, based on a report by Worldometers.info as of this writing.
The first death from the virus outside China was in the Philippines, with one confirmed case.
Cebu Pacific has cancelled all flights to mainland China until March 29. It has also cancelled flights to China's Special Administrative Region (SAR) Hong Kong, and Macau until February 29.
Other Philippine-based carriers including Philippine Airlines, Philippines AirAsia, Royal Air, and Pan Pacific Airlines have also temporarily cancelled their respective flights to mainland China and SAR in an effort to stop the spread of the 2019-nCoV.